My pregnancy journey has been a unique one. I was pregnant for almost 2 years straight. First I had Enzo and then when he was just 6 months old I found out I was pregnant with identical twin girls! My multiple pregnancy with the twins was much harder on my body than with Enzo. I worked out as much as I could but my workouts were super limited and I couldn’t really do much for the last few months. What I could do was keep my nutrition in check and eat as healthy as I could. Don’t get me wrong, I did indulge in plenty of strawberry snow cones but for the most part, I tried to keep my diet in check and not give in to every pregnancy craving. It just goes to show you that nutrition really is 80% and working out is the 20%. I stayed true to my 1st Phorm supplements; prenatal vitamins, fish oil, opti-greens 50, and Level1/Phormula1 protein shakes on the daily (free shipping if you order here)! You can also read about my pregnancy regimen for fitness, nutrition, skin care and beauty here! But today we’re talking about how it all went down after birth.
After I gave birth to Enzo it took about 6 months to really get back in shape and feel like I had my body back. The switch finally when off right after I stopped breastfeeding. I think it was a combination of finding a new sense of independence and also a big hormone fluctuation. That is until I found out I was pregnant, AGAIN. With the twins I ended up gaining around 30lbs. When they were born I delivered Francesa vaginally and Isabella via emergency c-section. Needless to say my body had a lot to recover from after that.
Fitness is such a big part of my life and both my physical and mental health. I loved my pregnancies and all the changes my body went through and how capable my body is, I’m forever grateful for it all, but there’s nothing like feeling like yourself.
My journey to ‘getting my body back’ was slow and steady. I began easing my way into some nice walks with the babies. Keep it mind we didn’t start with our little walks until 2 or 3 weeks after they were born. I gave myself the grace to settle in with them and establish routines before pushing myself into anything more. It was a beautiful and stressful and exhausting but amazing time. After 3 weeks I was definitely getting a little stir crazy and felt ready to leave the house with them.
After a few weeks of our light cardio I went back to working out with light weights and doing HIIT style training. I love EMOM workouts and you can read my blog about that here. I did miss my bump for months after giving birth but at that 6 month mark I began to really feel like myself again and by 9 months I was like I’M ME!! lol. I felt strong, and capable and remembered how it felt to be a friend, and a nurse, and an athlete AS WELL AS a Mom.
The hardest part is giving yourself time. Focus on your new baby and get settled at home before you even think about your fitness!
Postpartum we have lost a very nutrient dense placenta and most likely lots of blood, not to mention we are running on little sleep and may be making and expelling a lot of breast milk! The work your body has to do for a baby definitely doesn’t stop at birth!
It’s important to continue intaking lots of protein and if breastfeeding you’ll need more carbs. Smaller more frequent meals worked best for me as I was seemingly hungry all the time. I continued ALL pregnancy supps for at least 6 months after birth including the Joy Bundle to help with nutrient replenishing. I recommend this for all Moms regardless if you are breastfeeding. Continuing with the supplements will also help build up your immunity.
In the first weeks PP I was relying on a lot of nutrient dense snack foods and wasn’t cooking much. I was having almonds and cashews, whole grain toast with nut butter, protein shakes, chicken with a grain and vegetables when I could, and green smoothies. I felt like I was living off salads from Bread Co lol. I was focusing on staying hydrated as well. I would say by 6 weeks PP I finally felt like I could concentrate on my healthy eating habits/meal prep again.
For me, diet and exercise is all about the way I FEEL not just the way I look. I love to feel healthy for me and for my babies. I feel very fortunate to have been able to experience 2 very different, very healthy, very amazing pregnancies! It is so amazing what the human body can do!
After giving birth it is safe to resume all of your beauty treatments, yay! I immediately got back on my usual skincare regimen (retin-a) and started my Latisse back up! If breastfeeding you may need to wait on certain treatments so talk to your OBGYN if unsure.
Here is a skin care regimen I recommend for morning and night:
- Neocutis NEOCleanse Gentle Cleanser – Super creamy, glucerin-rich cleanser which gently purifies skin without stripping the natural barries. It works as a makeup remover and is ideal for dry and redness-prone skin.
- Neocutis Hyalis Moisturizer – Has a high concentration of premium-grade Hyaluronic Acid, which is a safe acid during pregnancy. It helps the skin looks plumper, fuller and the appearance of lines and wrinkles appear smooth because of its hydrating properties.
- Elta UV Daily Tinted – This is a dermatologic moisturizer & sunscreen combo with 40 SPF. It contains zinc oxide which reflects the sun off the face. I love love love the tinted version.
- Neocutis Micro Eyes Riche – An ultra-hydrating balm formulated for the eye area to help restore a vibrant appearance around the eyes and reduces skin puffiness with caffeine. It refreshes the eye area with a component of chamomile extract and alleviates the under eye darkness.
- Neocutis NEOCleanse Gentle Cleanser – same product as AM 🙂
- Koji Pads – Use in the PM every other or every third day to start and slowly work your way up to every other day and then every day. These are kojic acid wipes that will tighten and brighten the skin while also evening out the skin tone and reduce hyperpigmentation. These are especially great for reducing PIH (post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation) the dark spots left behind acne marks, melasma, sun damage, and age spots.
- Neocutis Micro Eyes Riche – same product as AM 🙂
- GLOW Pads (1-2x a week) – My FAV! Cleanse, apply pad, go to sleep. Use nothing else this night. This will TIGHTEN and BRIGHTEN the skin. I love to use these the night before an event or if the skin is just looking dull or broken out. These are TCA acid wipes and should also help reduce acne. I always use them when I feel a breakout coming on. I have an informational video on these on my IGTV. Make sure to slowly pour an entire bottle of solution over the pads
www.shopnayakplasticsurgery.com code ROCKYNP for 10% off and free shipping.
Getting back to ourselves is a different journey for every Mom. It’s really hard to prioritize yourself when there is an infant who needs your attention 24/7 but give yourself the patience and grace you need no matter what that looks like! After getting back in shape and going back to work I’ve felt happier than ever and I know when I’m a happy Mama I can be the best version of myself for my babies! They motivate me to eat well and take care of myself so that I can run and play with them for a lot of years to come!