Do you suffer from uneven skin tone? This is known as hyperpigmentation, which is the darkening of pigment on the skin due to sun damage or melasma. Another form of hyperpigmentation is PIH or Post-Inflammatory Hyperpigmentation. This type is when you see small little dark spots left behind old acne marks.
Uneven complexion can really affect your self-esteem. I know this because I’ve suffered from it before. After my son was born I was dealing with a combination of sun damage and melasma and my skin looked horrible.
I went on a mission to get my skin pigmentation restored which meant little to no sun exposure and my saving grace, Koji Pads!
The image below shows a 3 month transformation on one of my clients using Koji Pads!
Why I Love Koji Pads
Koji Pads are my go-to daily pad recommendation for patients who are suffering from pigmentation. They are a kojic-acid + salicylic wipe that greatly reduces and lightens pigment for all skin types!
Kojic acid is a very effective medical grade acid that works to lighten pigment deep within the skin right up to the surface. Other benefits include pore tightening, acne reducing, and overall tightness and brightness in your skin tone. They also contain glycerin which is what helps hydrate the skin. Therefore, you do not need to put moisturizer on top. They will actually be more effective without moisturizer on top.
When using Koji Pads in the evening this is the routine I recommend; cleanse, apply pad in a thin light layer over the skin, and go to sleep!
Koji Pads are super easy to use. I recommend introducing them slowly into your skin care routine and gradually increasing use over time. Start using them 3x per week. If your skin is tolerating them well, gradually increase and start using them every other night, and then eventually move to every single night. If you prefer to use them during the day – that’s okay too! Just give your face a moment to completely dry before applying you SPF and normal makeup routine.
While Koji Pads are a great all-around solution there are a couple other products and treatments I recommend if you’re curious! If you are suffering from hyperpigmentation, consider these 5 things:
- Wear medical grade face specific sunscreen every single day. Here’s is my all time favourite: Elta. Be sure to always wear a hat when in the direct sun (i.e. sporting events, pool, beach). I have a blog post for choosing what SPF is best for you here.
- Start using a lightening agent like Koji Pads to help even your complexion.
- If you are a candidate, utilize IPL (Intense Pulsed Light) treatment in off suns easons. If you have a lighter skin type and suffer from the above symptoms this will be a huge help!
- If you are not a candidate for IPL, look into chemical peels. There are certains types geared for sun damage.
- Be patient with yourself and your skin – lightening pigment takes time! It took me about a year to get mine under control. Now, I have been following steps 1-5 religiously and my skin tone has NEVER been better!