I don’t know about you but waking up with your eyebrows filled in sure makes me feel happier. Plus anything to help me with one less step in the morning is a huge win in my books! Right before I had Enzo (so almost 5 years ago) I decided to try Microblading for the first time. Being in the beauty industry, I knew to take this seriously and do my homework when searching for a provider. Just like your injectable provider, you are not paying for the brow, you are paying for the artist creating it. This is your face! It is so important to make sure to go to someone with lots of experience. I wrote a blog on how to search for an aesthetic provider and those same principles apply here when looking for your brow artist. Long story short, I always say…don’t groupon your face!
I go to the brow queen Christina Passanise, owner of the fabulous Wink iBoutique Lash & Brow Bar, here in St. Louis. I would not let anyone else touch my eyebrows. When I went to Christina for the first time 5 years ago she calmed my nerves and after I saw my result from that first Microblading session I knew this was something I would continue to keep up with. My brows looked so natural but just more full, defined, and filled in. With Microblading, you basically have the luxury of walking around with your brows perfectly filled in ALL THE TIME without the hassle of having to actually fill them in with makeup!
After my very first microblading appointment, I did a touch up around 6 months. After that I went back at one year and we did Microblading with some shading to fill them in even a little more (baby steps!). After that, my brows held up for nearly two years with zero touch ups needed! I had just recently noticed that my brows had faded a little so I just went back in on Monday and this time she did a newer technique called Nano Brows. We actually did a combo of microblading and nano brows. It has been fun to watch the brow techniques improve and change over the last 5 years and I am thankful to go to a provider who keeps up with education on new techniques and can provide me with exactly what I am looking for.
What is Microblading?
Microblading is performed using a handheld pen with tiny needles at the tip. We use the pen to gently scratch the uppermost layers of skin in order to implant pigment. The skin heals over these scratches which produces “hair strokes”. It’s a common misconception is that Microblading is totally semi-permanent. Each person will retain the pigment differently and while some may loose the pigment in a year, others may always have some residual pigment in their skin.
1. Restrictive aftercare process
2. Creates the look of “Hair Strokes”
3. Can be created very conservatively
4. Does not totally fill in / 3 dimensional
5. Maintenance 1-3 years based on care
6. Only effective at covering old Microblading if it’s extremely faded out
What is Nano Powder Brow?
Nano Powder Brow is a newer technique of tattooing which uses a traditional tattoo machine and a “pixel” technique which produces soft yet defined brows that resemble filling them in with powder makeup. Powder Brow is considered permanent as the pigment is layered in the skin and implanted a little deeper. This version will still require touching up every 3-5 years.
Nano Brow Facts:
1. Easy aftercare process
2. More permanent
3. No “Hair Strokes”
4. Replaces makeup by filling in
5. Maintenance 3-5 years based on care
6. Can cover and correct most Microblading
Pre and Post Care Instructions
- Do not tweeze or pick the area for 1 week before the procedure.
- Do not tan or expose face to sun for 2 weeks prior.
- Do not have any facial treatments for 2 weeks prior.
- Do not work out the day of the procedure.
- Do not have Botox up to 3 weeks prior.
- Do not take fish oil or Vitamin E for one week prior.
- Do not wax or tint the brows up to 3 days prior.
- Avoid alcohol 24-48 hours before.
- Do not take aspirin or ibuprofen prior.
Your skin will be temporarily sensitized after the treatment. We do require aftercare for the following 10 days.
- Keep your new brows clean days 1-7 by carefully washing them with Dial soap, rinse and blot them with a damp face cloth.
- Make sure to apply our approved aftercare ointment days 1-7 with a cotton swab or clean finger 2-3x per day.
- Full healing will take 2-4 weeks during which time the treated area will dry and flake. DO NOT pick at the flakes.
- Avoid using soaps or creams to the area for 2 weeks besides Dial.
- No abrasive products or towels.
- No sauna or sweating for 3-4 days.
- No Sun or Swimming for 2 weeks.
- Use a fresh pillowcase
- Avoid sleeping on your face.
- Do not apply makeup over the area for the first week.
- Avoid allowing your brows to become saturated with water during the entire shower.
If you want to get in contact with Christina email her – firstname.lastname@example.org or follow her on Instagram!
As always, I love to share my knowledge of all things beauty with you all! I hope you find this helpful. Remember…your eyebrows are the one thing you can get into shape without exercising 😉